- Go to the Dashboard -> Appearance -> Editor
- Now edit the file called content.php by selecting it from selection on the right
- Search for the term ‘the_content’ using ‘Ctrl + F’ on a Windows PC or ‘command + F’ on a Mac
- Now replace the word ‘content’ with ‘excerpt’ and click on update file.
- All done, now post pages with have the excerpt.
Out of the box the current default theme after installing WordPress shows all of your posts in the long format.
To change the theme to just show a short summary as per the screenshot below read on….